About ShadowTech 2018
- Register your organisation and nominate how many mentors are participating for each regional ShadowTech event.
- Approximately two days before the event, you will be emailed details of the students assigned to your organisation, (minimum of two students per mentor) and specifics for the day. *
- The students will shadow you for the day and find out what your job is like, what your daily routine is, and what the benefits and challenges for women working in technology are.
*Please note that student details may change after this time – we will do our best to communicate any changes leading up to the day.
NZTech has partnered with Youth Hub, a free online platform for students to develop social profiles with business-related skills and experience.
Business and student participants in ShadowTech register for the programme via ShadowTech on Youth Hub.
Just one registration is required for your organisation. From there you can manage your mentor participants and register for specific ShadowTech events across New Zealand.
- Previous mentor organisations – simply login and register for the 2018 events on the Youth Hub platform.
- New mentor organisations – create your account on the Youth Hub platform, then select and register for the ShadowTech events you wish to participate in.
Once registered, check your inbox for email confirmation of your registration for each event.
Youth Hub is a professional networking site for students, endorsed by the Ministry of Youth Development. Your Youth Hub profile will be used to manage your involvement in ShadowTech, but is a platform which you may continue to use for free to showcase your company’s brand, identify and recruit talent, and connect with the next generation of school leavers.
Once you’ve registered, we will add you to the mailing list to receive updates about ShadowTech.
Once registrations have closed and the student-mentor matching process completed, we’ll email the person listed as your regional event contact with details of the students assigned to your organisation and further details about the day*.
* This will be about two days out from the event date so please ensure your availability for the dates you have selected.
- We will email you details of the students and details for the day/s approximately two days before the event.
- Meet your students at the tertiary partner’s venue and join the girls in listening to an inspirational speaker (exact agenda will differ across each event).
- Transport the students back to your workplace.
- Ensure any health and safety requirements are covered off.
- This part of the day is up to you! Some of the activities you could undertake with your students include:
- The vision and purpose of your organisation and the types of roles within IT.
- A tour of your workplace.
- Introductions to other areas of your organisation and how your role fits in the organisation chart.
- Sitting in on client and team meetings.
- Sales and marketing discussions.
- Take the students to lunch. This is your opportunity to share any personal experiences with the students and their opportunity to ask questions.
- Deliver the students back to the venue and sit in on de-briefing activities.
- Complete a feedback survey.
How to Register
An introduction to ShadowTech from Director Edwina Mistry
Only one person from your organisation is required to register for ShadowTech. A generic admin email address is best to use to create the profile.
As part of Youth Hub’s business registration you will be asked a series of standard registration questions such as business description and social media links (optional) which will form your public Youth Hub profile. These details can be changed and managed on your profile.
For each event you will be asked to provide the number of mentors for that event and the name and contact details of the key contact in that region – this is preferably someone based in this region so we can inform them of plans specific to that region.
Your organisation only needs to register once for ShadowTech. For each event you will select how many mentors you wish to register for the event/region. Details of the contact person for each event will be entered in the event registration form – this is preferably someone based in this region so we can inform them of plans specific to that region.
Your organisation only needs to register a single account on Youth Hub. Once you’re registered you may choose each of the regional events you wish to register your organisation for, and the number of mentors available for each.
Firstly, check your spam folder for the email.
If there are no emails, confirm that you are registered by returning to the event page whilst logged on – selecting the menu icon at the top and then Events.
Select the ShadowTech event. If the button on the right reads ‘Edit Registration’ you are registered! If the button reads ‘Register’ simply click again and complete the details.
You can amend the number of mentors available for the event or contact person details by logging into your organisations Youth Hub profile, selecting the menu icon at the top and then Events.
Select the ShadowTech event you wish to update and select ‘Edit Registration’ on the right.
Registrations and amendments will only be available while registrations are open to allow us to work on matching mentors with students. If registration has closed for the event please email us with your changes.